Falls suffered by seniors are the leading cause of emergency calls in Pinellas County. In addition to injuries, falls have other negative consequences, including a loss of independence.
Reduce the risk of falling by making small changes:
– Enroll in fitness programs like Silver Sneakers, which focus on building balance and strength.
– Meet with your health care provider about your risk of falling. Inform them of health changes, including vision and hearing.
– Remove tripping hazards like loose carpets.
– Improve lighting and install handrails.
– Avoid rapid position changes from reclined to standing.
Making changes like these will reduce your chances of falling.