Water safety for children is often on the minds of parents and caregivers at the pool or beach in the summer. However, half of all accidental drownings in Tampa Bay this year happened in ponds or bathtubs.
Hidden hazards, like undrained bathtubs, buckets and pet water bowls, can also be dangerous.
Tips to keep kids safe:
– Always supervise children, especially during bath or swim time and near lakes or ponds.
– Stay within arm’s reach to quickly rescue a child if needed.
– Install door alarms and pool fences.
– Stay alert. Children drown silently and in as little as 20 seconds.
– Kelley Parris, Children’s Board of Hillsborough County