In 2017, Florida ranked second in the nation for identity theft complaints. According to Florida’s Office of the Attorney General, here are steps you can take to curb the damage of this crime if you find yourself a victim:
1. Report the incident to credit bureaus.
2. Contact the fraud department for your creditors.
3. Contact any banks/financial institutions where you have an account.
4. Report the incident to law enforcement.
Assistance is available through Florida’s Fraud Hotline at 1-866-9-NO-SCAM. Additionally, you can file a complaint with the FTC’s Identity Theft Clearinghouse (1-877-IDTHEFT).
– Lauren Bankert, The Tallahassee 100