Drowning is the leading cause of death for children ages 1-4 in the Tampa Bay area. Help keep kids safe with these water safety tips:
1. Designate a distraction-free “water watcher” to keep an eye on young children whenever they are in or around water.
2. Never rely on flotation devices like water wings and inner tubes in place of supervision.
3. Beware of hidden household hazards, such as toilets, bathtubs, buckets or even pets’ water bowls. Children can drown in as little as 1 inch of water.
4. Take advantage of free swim lessons in your community.
– Kelley Parris, Children’s Board of Hillsborough County