In an unexpected twist, the Hillsborough County Commission has flipped red.
Two Democratic incumbents, Mariella Smith and former Commission Chair Kim Overman, suffered shocking losses after a historic red wave flooded the blue county.
Before Tuesday night, the Commission had a 5-2 Democratic majority. Once new members are sworn in, Republicans will outnumber Democrats, 4-3. And, in a county where Democrats outnumber Republicans by 52,530 voters, the results came unexpected.
So, who won Tuesday night?
• District 1: Incumbent Democrat Harry Cohen
• District 2: Incumbent Republican Ken Hagan
• District 5: Republican newcomer Donna Cameron Cepeda
• District 6: Republican newcomer Joshua Wostal
– Kelly Hayes, Extensive Enterprises Media