As you decorate for the holidays, make sure your décor is safe for your pets:
– Poinsettias, mistletoe and holly are poisonous to pets, and lilies can cause kidney failure in cats. Ingesting them can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Keep them out of reach or skip them all together.
– Keep tinsel and glass ornaments out of reach. Swallowing tinsel or glass shards from a broken ornament can injure your pet’s digestive tract.
– Don’t leave gifts with human or pet food under the tree. Many holiday foods can harm pets. Pets can sniff them out and get into the gifts.
– Dr. Rizal Lopez, SPCA Tampa Bay Veterinary Center