Roser Park is one of St. Petersburg’s oldest parks, and the neighborhood around it formed the city’s first historic district.
Charles Martin Roser, an Ohioan who moved to St. Petersburg with his wife Ruth, donated the property for the park to the City of St. Petersburg in 1917. Roser is believed to have created the recipe for the Fig Newton before he developed the Roser Park District in the early 1900s.
Today, the park, located just south of downtown, serves as an outdoor museum. Twenty-eight markers describing the neighborhood’s history dot its brick streets and original hexagon sidewalk pavers.