In 1929, George S. Gandy, Jr., a young yachtsman from a prominent family, sailed from St. Petersburg to Havana to get away from the Great Depression and enjoy the Cuban capital’s lively atmosphere. While out on the town, he had the idea of uniting the two cities with a yacht race.
The 284-nautical mile race started at the St. Petersburg Pier and finished at Morro Castle in Havana Harbor. After nearly three decades, it was discontinued in 1959 when Fidel Castro came into power.
With US-Cuba relations improving, the race makes a much-celebrated return on Feb. 28.
– Katie Wilcox, B2 Communications